Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Type: Artigo de periódico
Title: [self-medication In The Elderly Population Of Campinas, São Paulo State, Brazil: Prevalence And Associated Factors].
Author: de Oliveira, Marcelo Antunes
Francisco, Priscila Maria Stolses Bergamo
Costa, Karen Sarmento
Barros, Marilisa Berti de Azevedo
Abstract: The aim of this study was to evaluate the prevalence and causative factors associated with self-medication in the elderly and identify the main drugs consumed without prescription. A cross-sectional population-based study with stratified clustered two-stage sampling was performed in Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil in 2008 and 2009. Of the 1,515 elderly studied, 80.4% reported using at least one drug during the three days preceding the survey. Of these, 91.1% reported the use of prescription drugs only and the remainder (8.9%) reported simultaneous use of prescribed and non prescribed drugs. After adjustment, a negative association between age ≥ 80 years, hypertension, chronic diseases, use of health services, dental consultations and adherence to a medical plan,and self-medication was found, whereas a positive association was found with per capita income. Dipyrone, acetylsalicylic acid, diclofenac, Ginkgo biloba, paracetamol and homeopathic medicines were among the most used non-prescribed drugs. Pharmaceutical assistance should be provided as a priority to the elderly, to avoid the misuse of medicines and ensure access to the correct drugs.
Subject: Age Distribution
Aged, 80 And Over
Cross-sectional Studies
Epidemiologic Methods
Middle Aged
Nonprescription Drugs
Self Medication
Sex Distribution
Socioeconomic Factors
Citation: Cadernos De Saúde Pública. v. 28, n. 2, p. 335-45, 2012-Feb.
Rights: aberto
Date Issue: 2012
Appears in Collections:Unicamp - Artigos e Outros Documentos

Files in This Item:
File SizeFormat 
pmed_22331159.pdf100.31 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.